#TakeAction – April 14, 2020
#TakeAction today to let our Senators know we need to keep voters safe from COVID-19. Now that Republicans know how their voter suppression plan failed in Wisconsin, maybe they’ll finally agree:
🔶 Demand our Senators ensure safe, secure elections during the COVID-19 outbreak
Call our Senators’ Washington state offices, demand they protect our elections during the COVID-19 outbreak:
Call your representatives, and ask them to fight to include Senator Elizabeth Warren’s new plan to assist states in expanding vote-by-mail for this November’s election in the next coronavirus relief bill.
Senator Warren’s plan builds on the election protection bill previously introduced by Senators Wyden and Klobuchar (S.3529) and asks for $4 billion for election protection efforts.
Senator Warren’s plan would:
• Expand early in-person voting and no-excuse absentee vote-by-mail to all states.
• Require states and jurisdictions to establish a publicly available contingency plan to enable eligible Americans to vote in the case of an emergency.
• Require the Election Assistance Commission to create a domestic version of the federal write-in absentee ballot.
• Require that all states provide envelopes with prepaid postage to all voters who request a voter registration application, absentee ballot application, or absentee ballot, and require that all states offer and accept online absentee ballot applications.
• Require absentee ballots to be counted if postmarked or signed before the close of the polls on Election Day.
• Provide money to states to implement these reforms.
In the third COVID-19 package, Congress provided $400 million for states to implement some of these changes. However, $400 million is not nearly enough — we need at least $4 billion to fully implement these changes. We urge Congress to include these protections in the next coronavirus relief package. We are running out of time before the November elections.