#TakeAction – February 24, 2020
Happy Monday – The Democratic Debate is in South Carolina tomorrow night.
Here is how you can #TakeAction today, February 25th:
🔹Support Responsible Control of HIV And Other Communicable Blood-Borne Diseases – State
🔹Support S.J.Res.68 – Remove US forces from hostilities with Iran not authorized by Congress
Support Responsible Control of HIV And Other Communicable Blood-Borne Diseases
Call our WA Senators on the Senate Health & Long-Term Care Committee: Randi Becker (LD2); Steve O’Ban (LD28); Karen Kaiser (LD33); Manka Dhingra (LD45). Urge them to approve HB 1551 in their Health & Long-Term Care Committee:
The Senate Health & Long-Term Care Committee will hold a public hearing today, Monday at 1:30 p.m.
ESSB 1551 is a comprehensive bill that:
· Would replace existing statutes related to HIV counseling, testing and training with a modernized regime for dealing with sexually transmitted diseases more generally;
· Would adopt new criminal standards and penalties applicable to the knowing transmission of HIV;
· Includes provisions to assure informed consent when testing for blood-borne pathogens is required by an insurer as a condition for obtaining or renewing coverage;
· Provides procedures for mandatory testing for blood-borne pathogens in various circumstances;
· Provides for the development of educational and training materials on the prevention, transmission and treatment of blood-borne pathogens;
· Would enable minors 14 years of age or older to obtain treatment to avoid HIV infection without a parent or guardian’s consent; and
· Would give the Board of Health rule-making authority necessary to implement the bill’s provisions.
Source: WA State Legislature: https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1551&Initiative=false&Year=2019
Support S.J.Res.68 – Remove US forces from hostilities with Iran not authorized by Congress
Call Congresswoman Schrier, ask her to vote for S.J.Res.68 to prevent U.S. troops from taking military action against Iran unless authorized by Congress and issue a public statement opposing war with Iran.
On January 7, Iran fired missiles into two Iraqi bases housing U.S. soldiers in retaliation for the assassination of Major General Qassim Suleimani. While both Trump and the Iranian government have indicated that they don’t want this to turn into a full-blown war, this is far from over. The Trump Administration has repeatedly chosen to provoke and escalate tensions with Iran. We are still as close to war with Iran as we have been in decades because of Trump. What all of this makes very clear is that Congress needs to act to prevent Trump from getting us into more unnecessary, costly, endless wars. Congress must exercise its power to declare war and rein in Trump to prevent the situation from getting worse.
Source: Indivisible: https://indivisible.org/demand-your-representative-rein-trumps-march-war
Join a Canvass to Get out the Vote for the Presidential Primary – All are needed!
Washington’s new Presidential Primary is March 10th, and volunteers are needed to canvass every weekend to explain our new nominating system and get out the vote. Check the following links for locations and times. https://www.facebook.com/pg/5thdems/events/ http://www.indivisible-wa8.com/calendar/