#TakeAction – May 3, 2019
Happy Friday! Let’s #TakeAction for Friday, May 3rd, 2019!
🔶 Ask our Representative to defund hate
🔶 Ask our MoCs and ask them to cosponsor the Green New Deal resolution
🔶 Stop ICE Deportation Flights from Operating in King County
1. (ACTION) Call Congresswoman Kim Schrier, ask her to support reduced funding for CBP (Customs and Border Protection) and ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) to Fiscal Year 2016 levels. More info in comments.
- Background: While Democratic control of the House has given us a firewall against some of the worst Republican attacks, Trump’s attacks against immigrants continue. He shut down the government for over a month in an effort to get his hateful wall, and has already requested billions more for ICE and CBP in next year’s budget, “FY20.” He hopes to use the money to pay for his wall, more ICE and CBP agents, and more cages for immigrant families. Fortunately, the Constitution gives Congress—not the White House—the sole power to appropriate money. That means that Democrats can define the terms of this debate through the appropriations process. The Defund Hate Campaign is a coalition of immigrant rights and progressive organizations that have been working for two years to get Congress to reduce funding for ICE and CBP, the two agencies most responsible for tearing apart immigrant families. Co-chaired by Detention Watch Network (DWN) and United We Dream (UWD), the coalition seeks to divest from immigration detention and enforcement, and invest in programs that we actually need, like health care and education. Indivisible is a proud member and partner of the Defund Hate Campaign.
- Source: Indivisible: https://indivisible.org/…/tell-your-representative…
2. (ACTION) Call Congresswoman Kim Schrier and Senators Murray and Cantwell, ask them to cosponsor H.Res.109 / S.Res.59 in support of a Green New Deal. This is an opportunity for our MoCs to be leaders on protecting the planet while bringing home once-in-a-generation benefits to their constituents. More info in comments.
- Background: The Green New Deal would be a broad-based package with elements that would benefit every single American—which means there are reasons for every Democrat to support the resolution in favor of it. While the benefits may look different in each district, this is an opportunity for your MoC to be a leader on protecting the planet while also bringing home once-in-a-generation benefits to their constituents.
- Source: Indivisible: https://indivisible.org/…/tell-your-democratic-member…
3. (ACTION) If you live in King County, call your King County Council Member and County Executive Dow Constantine to demand an immediate end to the ICE deportation flights departing Boeing Field, and transparent publication of the flight information. More info in comments.
- Background: The UW Center for Human Rights just released a report describing how 34,400 people have been deported by ICE by way of King County International Airport / Boeing Field since 2010. Boeing Field is owned by King County, which is a “sanctuary county” that has said it will not contribute resources to the enforcement of federal civil immigration enforcement. In addition to this cooperation, the report notes that in many cases, people are being deported before their court cases have even been decided. And there has been documentation of horrendous treatment of those being flown out of the country. The report paints a picture of ICE as a lawless agency with no transparency, no oversight, that repeatedly violates the human rights and due process rights of deportees. County Executive Dow Constantine issued an executive order to amend airport leasing practices with the goal of banning ICE deportation flights. This isn’t good enough: some of the airport contractors involved have leases to operate for 35 more years! King County needs to get FAR more creative and stop the use of its airport to facilitate ICE’s indiscriminate deportations.
- Seattle Times: https://www.seattletimes.com/…/over-eight-years-the…/
- Seattle Indivisible: https://www.seattleindivisible.com/daily-actions
We are posting more and more events (both for our group and outside of it) on our calendar. Check it out! http://www.indivisible-wa8.com/calendar/
Friends not on FB and want to join our efforts? Sign up for email: http://eepurl.com/cChJwD