#TakeAction – May 2, 2019
Time to #TakeAction for Thursday, 2 May!
🔶 Ask our Members of Congress to support the Census IDEA Act
🔶 Stop ICE Deportation Flights from Operating in King County
🔶 Keep asking Rep. Schrier to Cosponsor the Assault Weapons Ban of 2019
1. (ACTION) Call Senator Murray / Senator Cantwell / Congresswoman Schrier. Ask them to support the Census IDEA Act, S.358 / H.R.732. This bill would require three years of review for any new Census questions, stopping Trump’s Census-rigging in its tracks – and ensuring that only well-tested questions appear on the survey in the future.
- Background: A coalition of 18 states and civil rights groups are suing to remove Trump’s anti-immigrant question on citizenship status from the 2020 Census. This case has major implications for the future of our democracy. This summer, the Supreme Court will decide if the Trump administration can add a dangerous, untested citizenship question to the upcoming Census — intimidating countless legitimate responses, and distorting our democracy for at least the next decade. But we don’t have to wait for the Supreme Court to stop Trump’s schemes. Whether we win or lose at the Supreme Court, we can take action and make a difference now — by demanding that Congress passes the Census IDEA Act.
- Common Cause: https://www.commoncause.org/…/every-person-counts…/…
- Common Cause: https://actionnetwork.org/…/no-citizenship-question…/…
2. (ACTION) If you live in King County, call your King County Council Member (find your King County Council Member here), and Dow Constantine, ask King County to stop supporting ICE deportation flights from Boeing Field.
- Background: The UW Center for Human Rights just released a report describing how 34,400 people have been deported by ICE by way of King County International Airport / Boeing Field since 2010. Boeing Field is owned by King County, which is a “sanctuary county” that has said it will not contribute resources to the enforcement of federal civil immigration enforcement. In addition to this cooperation, the report notes that in many cases, people are being deported before their court cases have even been decided. And there has been documentation of horrendous treatment of those being flown out of the country. The report paints a picture of ICE as a lawless agency with no transparency, no oversight, that repeatedly violates the human rights and due process rights of deportees. County Executive Dow Constantine issued an executive order to amend airport leasing practices with the goal of banning ICE deportation flights. This isn’t good enough: some of the airport contractors involved have leases to operate for 35 more years! King County needs to get FAR more creative and stop the use of its airport to facilitate ICE’s indiscriminate deportations.
- Seattle Times: https://www.seattletimes.com/…/over-eight-years-the…/
- Seattle Indivisible: https://www.seattleindivisible.com/daily-actions
3. (ACTION) Call Congresswoman Schrier and urge her (again!) to cosponsor the Assault Weapons Ban of 2019, H.R.1296.
There are several events for our group and others in the next 10 days on our calendar. Check it out! http://www.indivisible-wa8.com/calendar/
Friends not on Facebook and want to join our efforts? Sign up for email: http://eepurl.com/cChJwD